Translate

Monday, October 15, 2012

Reading Response: “A’s For Everyone!” by Alicia Shepard



Reading Response: “A’s For Everyone!” by Alicia Shepard
Critical Thinking
1) Yes, if I felt a grade I received was wrong I asked my professor for clarification. Most of the time just having a professor clarification will help me to better understand the reason why I got that grade. Sometimes professors do make mistakes asking for clarification might help someone get a couple extra points.
2) No, I don’t think class participation should be a factor in determination a grade. I am a somewhat of a shy student I don’t participate much in class. If participation was a factor in determining a grade there would be a fight to answer questions. So, even if everyone did try to participate someone would be left out.
3) Electronic grade posting has increased the issue of grade challenging and grade inflation. Students feel that changing grades is easier thanks to posting grades electronically. Also, I know personally seeing my every assignment online makes me want perfect grades on every assignment. Students can track every percentage online and this increases students wanting to grade challenge everything to get that perfect percentage. 
4) “Helicopter parents” are parents who don’t give their children space. They are constantly involved in their children lives. No, I don’t think it makes Shepard’s argument more creditable because she admits to being a “helicopter parent.” This makes Shepard’s argument bias because she will not be brutally honest with herself.
5) There are many different perceptions of what is “good grades.” To me “good grades” is just doing my absolute best even if that grade is a C. If I can say I did all that I could I will accept the grade that I got in that class. I will be proud of the grade because I put in a lot of effort to achieve that grade.
Critical Writing
1) Professor Watson and I share the same view of “working hard.” To me when a grade is factored if someone worked hard in that class they will have better grades. So, “working hard is included in factoring grades. I think this is a fair system. Sometimes though just because someone “works hard” doesn’t mean they’ll have good grades. Sometime someone can do all they can in a class and still not achieve the best grades. It has to be something within one who is happy with the grades they received after “working hard.” Some areas of college others have a talent for that subject. I think it balances out because no one is perfect in every subject. Everyone has to put in some effort in a college to past their classes.



No comments:

Post a Comment